Friday, January 2, 2009

Don't Fly Delta

-
I can't put it any more plainly than that.

I'm uploading pictures as we speak, and I know everyone wants to hear about the cruise. It was amazing, but first, I must tell the tale of how it nearly didn't happen.

We had a Delta air travel plans, that took us from Chicago's midway airport to Miami via Atlanta. I've flown through through Atlanta many a times over the last 18 months, and was comfortable with this plan.

At 5:30 AM, we happily boarded our plan, happy to be flying in the cold temperatures, no snow or ice, so all should be well. We were both thrilled to be heading off to some sun and warmth for Christmas.

Our flight was to depart at 6, and our lay over was only 45 minutes. Soooooo, about 6:30, still at the gate, we both began to worry. Soon there after, the pilot announced the potable water hose froze to the plane. "Perhaps this is the first time a flight has left mid-way in sub-freezing weather," I sarcastically thought.

The one bright spot of the morning was our flight attendant, who had previously worked in the ticketing call centers and helped us find a good number to call and to know when to request someone in the supervisor ranks. As the plane pulled away, nearly 8:00 that morning, he allowed the bending of FAA rules as I finalized our adjusted travel plan with a supervisor in their Salt Lake facility.

Jump to Atlanta, and we walk off the plane and confirm with a gate agent that we are both confirmed on a plane leaving for Ft. Lauderdale in about an hour. No problem, a bit extra on the cab fare, but we'll be there. Alright, with travel plans seemingly secure, it was time to get a sandwich and call the good folks at Carnival to let them know we were running late.

As our flight time approached, our gate opened for business and it was time to get boarding passes for our flight. Now, I pause to ask, have you ever had one of those moments when you know you don't necessarily need to tell EVERYTHING you know?? Well, our new gate agent had one of those moments, and she told us too much!

Casually, she says, "You know your bags have gone on to Miami, right?" As my face exploded in shades of crimson, she continued, "That flight left about twenty minutes ago. I'm not sure why you didn't go stand by on it. Let me check... umm... Yes, it had four open seats."

At this point for me, it gets a little blurry, I think the hulk came out, but if I recall, I stopped just short of speaking in any other languages. As we boarded the plane, she told us for the 15th time that although an airline can bring bags to your door when they lose them, they are unable to transport them within a metropolitan area like Miami.

I called my parents and provided all of the details of our bags, ticket numbers, etc, and then, as the flight attendants were not as pleasant as the earlier flight, we shut off our phones and left our fate up to the gods...

Lost in all of this, is that Carnival requests you be on board by 2:30 for a 4:00 departure. While in the airport I called to let them know we were now landing at exactly that time. They noted the passenger roster, and let me know that all would be well. That was reassuring, but didn't give us the time to navigate two airports.

Once on the ground, we frantically began calling and it turns out, my Mom had created our own little Christmas Miracle. There were still some very tense moments, as we got to the dock at 3:00 and our luggage arrived about 3:35, but Mom had come up with a 24/7 messenger service that was able to get our luggage from MIA and deliver it to us, in hand, at the dock, without a minute to spare.

If you are ever in need, and I hope you aren't, look up On Time Delivery at 954-564-5447 or www.otddelivery.com. And Thanks Mom!!!!

No comments: